A new winery with great history located in South Western Romania, which has a certain “gout du terroir” due to the favourable elements which come together to create great wine: continental temperate climate with Mediterranean influences, long hot and dry summers, mild winters with heavy rainfall. The soil is varied and rich in minerals specific to this part of the country influenced by the river Motru and proximity of the Carpathian mountains. From 2005, 55 hectares of vine have been planted with international grape varieties sourced from France to complement the existing Romanian varieties belonging to the Bibescu Estate. The winery founded by Prince Antoine Bibescu has been rebuilt and benefits from the latest
technology in wine making but still preserves that elegant fin de siècle romantic style characteristic of the old Romanian aristocracy.
Probably, viticulture existed in this area ever since the Dacians, as the area was inhabited and placed not very far from the capital city of Sarmizegetusa. Documents attest the vineyard since the 16th century. Later on, by means of a document dated the 1st of July 1594, Michael the Brave acknowledges two vineyards to Necula in Corcova and, in another document dated the 8th of July 1956, the prince acknowledges to Radu, the second cupbearer, an inherited property and vineyards in Jirov, Cernaia, Cotoroaia and Valea Buna.
The Wine-growing Viticola Corcova Company, property of Roy & Damboviceanu was founded in 2005, a moment when, out of the 470 hectares of vine that the Corcova State Agricultural Enterprise (IAS) owned, only 18 hectares were left and the wine cellars, which had been built by Prince Anton Bibescu at the beginning of the 20th century, were ruined.
In the summer of 2005, the company bought 12 hectares of vine planted by the Corcova IAS and approximately 50 hectare of land planted with ruined vine, in Jirov Village. Both locations had been planted with vine ever since the time of the Bibescu family estate and their predisposition to vine culture was confirmed. Later on, the company applied for financing from the SAPARD Fund in order to replace the aged vine and re-plant it with higher quality strains. The project received financing and
it was finalized in 2007. Thus, during the years of 2006 and 2007, 40 hectares were planted with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Muscat Ottonel and Chardonnay strains. Except for Syrah, the strains had been cultivated in Corcova since the Bibescu family Estate, being included in the D.O.C authorized strains for Mehedinti-Corcova area.
The wine cellars were fully renovated and modernized throughout 2008-2009. With the support of the EFARD (European Fund for Agriculture and Rural Development), the wine cellars were equipped with modern machines and tools that facilitate processing, according to European standards. After new planting process organized in 2008 and 2010, the cultivated surface
reached an area of 55 hectares, out of which 40 are cultivated with red wine strains.